Oral appliances are dental mouthpieces that fit very much like a sports mouth guard or removable orthodontic retainer.† The device prevents the airway from collapsing by supporting the jaw in a forward position. OAT involves customization, selection, fabrication, modulation, adjustments and long-term follow-up care by sleep professionals to ensure proper efficacy and compliance.
Oral appliance therapy is used to treat snoring and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Specifically oral appliances are recommended for individuals who:
- Snore, but donít have OSA
- Presented with mild to moderate OSA during a sleep study
- Failed CPAP or weight loss
- Desire an alternative to CPAP during travel
Custom-made oral appliances are scientifically proven to be more effective than over-the-counter devices.†Therefore, the over-the-counter devices are not recommended as a screening tool or as a therapeutic option due to the increased potential of side effects.
Our oral appliance program gives clients the opportunity to work with an American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine dentist and to be monitored by a board certified sleep physician.
The program includes:
- Non-obligatory initial consultation and evaluation
- Oral appliance selection and customization
- Device titration
- Home sleep assessment(s) to verify efficacy of device
- Semi-annual and annual follow-up appointments