One of the main causes of sleep apnea is weight gain and with the obesity rates in the United States among the highest in the world, with an estimated 74.1 % of the adults being overweight or obese, the presence of sleep apnea has sky rocketed. Fortunately, research has shown that that a 10% reduction in weight results in a 26% reduction in sleep apnea.
Research has shown that sleep deprivation, which occurs with sleep apnea and insomnia, directly results in increased weight, food intake and insulin resistance as well as decreased metabolism and activity. These combinations easily create an up hill battle for individuals with sleep apnea who are trying to loose weight, which is why we recommend all our patients who need to loose weight to enter this program.
Sleep Therapeutics’ Behavioral Nutrition Program has been specifically designed by a licensed and Registered DietitianOur licensed and registered Dietitian has specifically designed sleep Therapeutics’ Behavioral Nutrition Program. to alleviate obstructive sleep apnea.
Whether you need to manage a health condition such as obstructive sleep apnea or to optimize your overall health, fitness, and energy level, The Behavioral Nutrition Program can assist you by:
- Education on the importance and link between sleep and weight management
- Assessing your nutritional needs
- Developing plans and attainable goals with you to ensure they fit into your lifestyle
- Safely change your eating patterns without compromising nutrition and taste
- Improve your relationship with food
- Help you lose weight and increase activity
- Letting your family know how they can support you
- Supporting, educating, and motivating you through the long-term